Wednesday, May 04, 2005

snooze button vs. lovely light...

I apologize for the general lack of posts this week - you see, dear friends, life in Pleasant Valley is retooling it's schedule, as I - GASP - try to become a morning person.

My wonderful, and gainfully employed brother has returned to the valley, and with him have come the trials and tribulations of car scheduling, and other such things. For this reason I, in an act best described as super-human compromise (or patent stupidity), have volunteered to take the 'early shift' each day, meaning I wake up around 6am to be out the door at 6:55am. Today was day three...I'm yawning as I type this.

My current consolation is a poem that occasionally bounces in my groggy thoughts as I bump and whirr to work on the Express Bus at this new ungodly hour:

My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!

Those words are Edna St. Vincent Millay's. I'm still waiting for the "lovely light," but am confident it will be beautiful when it finally graces the world. Wait for it, wait for it...

Well, on the upside, at least all the big bad leaders of the nation's political circus called Parliament are actually doing something decent and traveling to the Netherlands to honour our veterans; we may have some peace in the valley for a while, which quite frankly I'll need if this diminishing wax stick is to last until Friday...

Before I unceremoniously flop face down into my bed, I would like to share the good news: apparently the Republicans are cracking up. If that's not lovely light, I don't know what is.

4 comments:

mollyblogger said...

Glad to hear you're still alive!!

Sorry to hear about the 6am stuff.

When you get adjusted though, you'll swear the rest of us are insane for sleeping in so late.

Anonymous said...

Just remember, dear chum, that I am awake by 5:30 and out the door by 6:30... I commiserate.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... Hmmm.... This "early-to-bed, early-to-rise" routine may be all well and good (even necessary) in Pleasant Valley/Rinky-dink-on-the-Rideau, but how will you adapt when you hit the big "T", where the problems of humanity are addressed largely between 11PM and 2AM, over multiple intakes of Grant's or Chilean red? I can but pray....

notsirjohn said...

I am very worried indeed for any future trips to T.O., since the lazy ways of rinky-dink on the rideau have whittled away my tolerance to a paltry 4 or 5 drinks in an evening...I guess I'll have to "train up" by drinking early and often for the next 2 weeks!