Wednesday, February 28, 2007

to borrow some fine words from a friend...

I received an email from a friend today that to my mind perfectly summarizes the madness of our present political moment and the media's backwards approach to the whole mess.

I quote:

So after following the vote to restore our rights yesterday I'm still trying to wrap my head around the mentality of the Conservative voter. Let me get this straight, allowing the police to arrest you with no proof is good, but telling the police about your guns is bad. Along those lines, $200 million for Afghanistan reconstruction is good, but if any of those projects were good for the environment and counted towards our Kyoto target, that would be throwing our money away.

Also, I've noticed a new thing about the political media that I'm not liking. Both after the vote yesterday and the vote on the Kyoto private members bill, the pundits I saw commenting on it (Coyne, Hebert, Taber and Duffy) only discussed the implications for the parties. Like why would the liberals vote against the terrorism laws when it's splitting the party and making Dion look weak. Does anyone really care if the Liberals look weak? What I care about is my rights as a Canadian Citizen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very apt. I may have to borrow that first part.