Wednesday, November 01, 2006

maybe this isn't the answer...

Scientists have discovered that a substance found in red wine, known as resveratrol significantly increases the lifespan of mice on a high-fat diet, and also staves off diabetes and liver disease. A miracle cure! All we have to do is drink a bit of red wine and then we can get away with all kinds of dietary faux-pas, right? Now I've advocated drinking at least 3 bottles per sitting for years, so I anxiously read on to see what kind of health-related lottery I'd stumbled into, a certain jackpot winner no doubt. My joy kept climbing as I continued down the page, until that is I came across the hard truth of the matter:

"The mice were fed a hefty dose of resveratrol, 24 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. Red wine has about 1.5 to 3 milligrams of resveratrol per liter, so a 150-pound person would need to drink from 1,500 to 3,000 bottles of red wine a day to get such a dose. Whatever good the resveratrol might do would be negated by the sheer amount of alcohol."

Now I'm up for a glass or two, but I draw the line, ABSOLUTELY, at 4 bottles. 1500-3000 bottles, eek...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is SO exciting, SO reassuring! And if they won't give me the reservatrol pill, I can just go back and live in France. In fact, I think I'll just go back and live in France....

Anonymous said...

At least three bottles each per sitting?

Anonymous said...

Hey, people! We're not talking about our ordinary, regular 750 ml bottle here! We're into "litre" bottles!

notsirjohn said...

I think it's fair to say that I can pack away about 2 bottles worth to myself in a night assuming each is 750ml and that the necessary prerequisites of both a massive meal and good conversation are built into the scenario. The one litre bottle changes everything...